It’s almost that time again! Family and friends will be getting together to watch the biggest game of the year! What better time than to enjoy some delicious appetizers? And no, you do not have to spend the whole day cooking to do so! Chef Jeremiah is here to walk you through making his amazing oysters on the half shell.
PRO TIP: Prep your oysters beforehand, so all you have to do is pop them in the oven for 3-5 minutes to enjoy during the game!
- Sweet Tomato Jam
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cooked Bacon
INGREDIENTS: SWEET TOMATO JAM
- 3 ea. Concasse Tomatoes (peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- 1/2ea. Onions-Fine Diced
- 1t Minced Garlic
- 1t Minced Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Simple Syrup – 5 Cups Sugar & 3 Cups Water
- 1/2t Chili Powder
- 1/2t Basil
- 1ea. Bay Leaves
- 1/3c Malt Vinegar
- 2T Brown Sugar
Step 1: Open Oysters
- Start by heating up your oysters to make them easier to open up!
- If you don’t have a salamander, use the broil feature on your oven. Set it to 500 degrees and they should begin opening up after about 3-5 minutes.
- After they have begun opening, they may start leaking some liquid. This means they will be easier to shuck!
- Once they have been taken out, allow a couple minutes for them to cool so that you don’t burn your hands.
Step 2: Shuck Oysters
- Start with the hinge and separate from the top & bottom.
- Be sure to leave all the oyster liquor in to enhance the flavor!
Step 3: Prepare Sweet Tomato Jam
- Sauté onions, garlic, and ginger in veg. oil.
- Add spices and brown sugar to pot and stir well.
- Deglaze with malt vinegar and add simple syrup and simmer.
- Add tomatoes and herbs to pot and simmer.
- Cook over medium-high heat and stir frequently.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes or until dark red in color.
Step 4: Assemble Oysters
- Add ½ of a tablespoon of tomato jam to each oyster.
- Top each oyster with cheddar cheese.
- After they have been topped, place oysters back into a 500-550 degree broiler for 3-5 minutes.
Step 5: Plate Oysters
- For your oysters on the half shell to sit nicely on a plate, pour a decent amount of salt on the plate & allow the shells to rest in it.
In Need of the Perfect Oyster Knife?
Blue Ocean Market has you covered! Stop by today and pick up an oyster knife from one of our favorite brands. Toadfish Outfitters makes the perfect tools for your kitchen. Not only does this company create quality products, but they work hard to help restore the health of our waters! Using the profit collected from every purchase, Toadfish replants new oyster beds.
So far, Toadfish Outfitters has planted 210,643 square feet of oyster beds! How does an oyster bed help clean the water? Oysters act as natural filters in our ocean. Just one oyster can filter up to 50 gallons each day. Buying from Toadfish products makes it easy to play a part in keeping our beautiful coast healthy for years to come!
About Blue Ocean Market
We pride ourselves in bringing only the freshest, best quality seafood to your table. All of our seafood is caught off of the beautiful shores of North Carolina! Unless otherwise noted when purchasing salmon from some of our fishing partners outside of this area, all of our seafood is wild caught! Not only are our fish distributed to some of the best restaurants here on the Crystal Coast, but also in exceptional restaurants around the nation.
Come in today so you can bring home some fresh, local seafood! If you don’t feel like cooking, Chef Jeremiah has you covered. We have a variety of prepared meals that are ready to go at your convenience!